Friday, August 10, 2007

Day one

Here we go. I've never had a blog before so this is all new to me.

Yesterday I am sitting at my son's baseball pizza party and as the coaches are handing out trophies, I realize that I have never won a trophy or anything of my own. I mentioned it to one of the mom's sitting across from me and she said 'start running and you will get stuff'. So then I thought, sounds good to me. The bad part is that I absolutely hate to run.

I currently work out 3 times a week in an aerobics class and I love it. I am average weight for my height, but I could definitely use some more toning - particularly in my mid-section. Most of the runners I see are pretty toned up, so I figure this is my new thing.

I talked to a friend that used to run cross country in high school and she said that she had been thinking about running again too. Great, looks like I have a partner huh? Not quite. She has three young children and is often tired, therefore it is hard to get her to come with me to the gym.

On Friday's I typically attend my exercise class, but decided to skip it today to test out my new hobby. I had done a little research on the internet on how to get started and found a plan that I liked. The first week's instructions are to run 60 seconds and walk 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. Sounds pretty easy huh? Nope. Maybe I'm just a weenie I don't know. For me, it was tough. Lots of questions are going through my head now, did I try to run too fast, did I not drink enough water, was I breathing wrong-was I even breathing at all???

I've been home for 1 1/2 hour and I am dead. I was supposed to mow, but forget it. I need to eat, but I'm way too tired to get up and my legs feel like spaghetti.

There is a 5k coming up in mid October that I would like to jog-we'll see.

I'm going to bed now.

11 comments:

Ian said...

Welcome to running. Pretty soon you'll be addicted to it. I found you through the CRN running blog family.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

New to running and blogging? You'll find a lot of supportive, fun, and experienced people here.

We can help you with your running, goals, motivation, and grow to enjoy it.

The running gets better with consistency and patience.

We're all here for you!

Tom

tom@runnerslounge.com

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Joe said...

Welcome to running! You'll find a lot of experienced runners and newbies (like me) online cheering you on. Stay at it - you'll fall in love with it.

www.learningtorun.com

Nancy said...

Stick with it, Hon! You can do this. In a few short weeks, you won't believe it but you will go from being dead today to running that 5k. I was running sporadically a few weeks ago, made a commitment to run just 4 days a week, and I just ran my first 12 miler. It sounds absurd but you will be amazed at the progress you can make and what your body can do.

Good luck, and as Tom said, we are all here for you!! I found you through his site.

www.nancy262.com

psbowe said...

Oh, you're off to an awesome start. Take pride in that kind of tiredness. I say this as I echo the previous comments too. Welcome to blogging too and nice to meet you. Looking forward to more updates.

p/s just click on my name and that should lead you to my blog.

SavvyFitChica said...

First of all, JOB WELL DONE on your first run! Give yourself a pat on the back!

Second, you'll figure out what works and doesn't work for you- usually by trial and error when it comes to eating beforehand, water consumption, shoes, etc.

Check out my blog if you ever get time.

KelsaLynn
(just click on my picture to get to my blog)

Amy said...

We have all wondered whether we were breathing or not. It DOES get easier. I PROMISE. Go read my blog...from a smoker, non-exerciser, to a marathon finisher and super-star runner (okay, so I'm the only one that thinks I'm a super-star but who cares?)

Keep at it, and before you know it you'll be wondering how it all got so easy!

email me anytime at acgsemail@yahoo.com or click on my pic for my blog!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to running! You'll do well I'm sure!
runningkate.konamoxt.com

Andria said...

Good for you making the decision to get out there! Even though you're tired, getting out there and doing it is the hard part. I just started running again about two months ago and now I can do 3 miles. Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine.

Database Diva said...

Welcome to running and the wonderful world of running blogs -- both are habit forming! The people who have left comments for you have some of the best blogs around, so be sure to check them out for great advice, inspiration, and a lot laughs. You mention that runners look toned. I've noticed that about the runners on the cover of Runner's World and other magazines, and also about the runners at the front of the pack. If you look a little further back, you will see runners of all shapes, sizes and abilities. The great thing is that they have just as much fun as the faster, more toned runners at the front. There is room for everyone in running!

Bruce said...

Hope you've stuck at the running. Take it easy for the first few months & don't increase your distance too fast. It does get better.